Saturday, February 9, 2013

团圆饭

Today is the eve of Chinese New Year. We would be having our reunion dinner at Ban Heng Pavilion Restaurant at HarbourFront Centre. We had to reach the restaurant by 5.30pm, so my parents left earlier to fetch my grandma and uncle to the restaurant, while my sisters and I waited for my youngest sis's boyfriend to drive us there. 

We felt like we were attending a wedding dinner as it was held in a ballroom with many other tables of people. The food was served quite quickly as our time slot was until 7.30pm and there would be another set of diners from 8-10pm. The food tasted quite good and we were very full, partly because the meal was for 10 people but we only had 8.

There was a short lion dance performance in the middle of the dinner. The person operating the lion head was supposed to throw out oranges after he has peeled off the orange skin. However, someone carried a child towards the lion head and he gave the orange to the child, then suddenly many people started crowding around the lion head and tried to get the oranges too. It was quite funny to see the people putting their hands into the lion's mouth and attempting to get the oranges.

After dinner, my parents sent my grandma and uncle home while my sister's boyfriend sent us home. Shall stay up late tonight to 守岁.

No comments:

Post a Comment