Monday, August 31, 2009

BSOD

This morning, I started up my laptop as usual when I reached office. However, there seemed to be some problems as I was unable to boot into Windows and was even presented with a BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume error. No choice, had to call Helpdesk for help and the thing I feared most happened -- my hard disk had crashed. I was mainly worried about my email data as I didn't make a backup of the pst files at all.

Helpdesk said they had to rebuild my laptop so I spent almost 3/4 of the day waiting for programs to be re-installed to a new hard disk. Luckily, Helpdesk found an old backup copy of my hard disk and they would try to recover some of my emails tomorrow so at least I would not lose all my data.

Think it's at least fortunate that this happened today rather than during closing a few days later. Otherwise, I would be so distracted and won't be able to fully concentrate on the closing.


Update: I did a google search to find out why this would happen, when there doesn't seem to be anything wrong when I shut down my laptop on Friday. I found that this is actually rather common and it seems there could be a way to fix this. Maybe I'll check with Helpdesk tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to recover all my data *crosses fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment