Saturday, September 19, 2009

Grandma's Birthday

Today is my grandma's birthday. My parents decided to take her out for dinner and chose the newly opened Sakura Charcoal Grilled & Shabu Shabu at Marina Country Club at Punggol. They had seen an article in 优1周 and the review seemed good so wanted to give it a try. I guess the area hasn't been fully developed yet as it was rather out of the way and the road leading into the restaurant was quite deserted.

As this was buffet-style, we were shown to our table after paying at the counter. There was a large variety of food available, with all kinds of seafood, meat, vegetables and yong tau foo for you to grill or cook in the hotpot. There was also a $10 rebate per person, which can be used to "purchase" drinks or other more pricey food such as lobster, crab, frog and Wagyu beef.

However, we were rather disappointed that there was quite a lot of smoke coming out from the various tables of people grilling food, which was different from what the article had mentioned. My grandma had difficulty eating when the smoke was blowing in her direction, and my sis who did the Lasik surgery felt uncomfortable and had to put eye drops.

On the whole, I didn't really enjoy the meal. Guess the main reason was that I do not like to cook/grill the food myself. It's not that I'm lazy but I just feel that the food doesn't taste as nice as I usually under/over cook the food. Another reason is that I don't really like buffets as I can't eat much so it seems like a waste of money.

After dropping off my grandma at her house, I took over the driver's seat and drove my family home. This was the longest journey that I have driven - from Hougang to Bukit Batok :) However, think I need to practise my parking skills, especially when there are no cars on either side of a lot as I can't seem to judge whether I am in the middle of the lot or not :P

No comments:

Post a Comment